Thursday, January 24, 2013

Baraka



I had seen the trailer for Baraka some time ago and knew it was a film I wanted to see.  It had slipped from my memory until looking for a video to stream last night. 

I will spare you my extended cinematic critique.  It is a beautiful film.  There is no dialogue, no voice over, or subtitles.  While it would be great to know exactly where on earth different segments were shot, it does not detract from the presentation.

It was originally shot in 70mm so it would have been spectacular on the big screen.  We streamed it from Amazon and the quality was good. 

While looking for the trailer I saw that the entire film was available on YouTube.  I wanted to watch a portion of it again, but when I went to that segment the audio was missing.  It appears the audio drops out about 12 minutes into the film.  It does not work well as a silent film.

However you arrange to see the film I would suggest that it is a must see.  Write
B A R A K A   on a scrap of paper and tape it to your door.  Don’t remove the paper until you have seen the film.  You can thank me later.

Of course Wikipedia has a more in depth description of the film

No comments:

Post a Comment